8 Simple Tips to Maintaining Long Term Heart Health
Updated: Sep 15
Diet is just one part of maintaining heart health. There are others that you need to be aware of to make sure that your heart stays healthy.
1. Eat Healthy - Eating foods which are high in minerals, iron, calcium like green leafy vegetables, vegetables, mushrooms & not indulging too much in red meats which increase cholesterol levels is a good habit to make. Make sure your family also maintains this healthy diet.
2. Regular Exercise - Exercising regularly atleast 30 minutes a day of brisk walk is advised as this will keep you fit & your heart healthy. Other forms of exercise like: Yoga, Sports, Gardening can help you to keep the exercise interesting.
3. Family History - Make sure you are aware of any issues of your family health history. It is important that you take precautionary measures if your family has any history of diabetes, heart issues etc.
4. Regular Tests - Some tests like BP, Sugar, Cholesterol should be done so you know what condition your health is in. The frequency of your tests depend on the age you are in. If you are in your 20s, you can get these tests done once an year. If you are in your 30s tests should be done atlas one every 6 months. If you find any irregularities make sure you go to a doctor.
5. Smoking & Alcohol - Both these habits should be regulated.
6. Stress Management - Stress is the biggest factor which causes lots of heart issues in people in the 21st century. Manage your stress by taking part in yoga, exercising regularly & learning to let go.
7. Watch your weight - As you grow older, in your late 30s or 40s you need to keep checking your weight & make sure that you go light on your dinners so you can manage your weight appropriately. If there is a sudden spurt in your weight make sure you go to a doctor for check up as this could be due to increase in sugar levels.
8. Expert doctor - Make sure that you go to an expert doctor for advise as this can make all the difference between healthy living & a disease.
Dr.Prateek Bhatnagar is India’s Top Cardiac Surgeons & is currently working as Director, Cardiac Surgery at Care Hospitals, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad.